Friday, July 29, 2016

Summer Reading Favorites

My love for reading runs pretty deep within me. Some of my fondest memories of my childhood were taking weekly trips to the library with my mom and brothers. When I was in middle school, I remember going to the library and then sitting in our minivan and reading while my mom got groceries. When we got home, I helped bring in the groceries and then holed myself up in my bedroom to continue reading. I would typically have my books read after just a couple of days, and the wait would begin for the next trip to the library. My summer revolved around that tradition. 

Now, I have a little one of my own, and I'm doing everything I can to instill a love of reading in him too. He's only 13 months old right now, but he's very familiar with books. We have books everywhere! They're in the living room, the kitchen, the bathroom, his bedroom, and the car. We take books to church and to restaurants. He knows books, and I love to watch him interact with them. I've started weekly trips to the library with him this summer too. Sometimes we drive. Sometimes we walk. The walking trips are my favorite. It's a half hour trip there when we walk, which means he's itching to get out of the stroller by the time we get there. I gather the books we will check out, and then I give him a good chunk of time to run and explore. He plays with the giant Connect Four game in the Story Time room. He climbs on the big floor pillows. His favorite thing to do, though, is play with the stacking toys on the little tables. He throws them all over the place. He has so much fun while we are there! 

I can only hope this weekly experience does for him what it did for me. I hope it turns him into a reader. We've read some amazing books this summer. I have been late to the game for a lot of them, but I'm so glad I picked them up this summer! Here's a look at some of our favorites: (All pictures are courtesy of Goodreads.)

9465166


No comments:

Post a Comment